Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sacreligious Torment : Demos & Extras


'Demos & Extras' by Sacreligious Torment
Rating: 4 / 5

What I've got here is a compilation album of 'Demos & Extras' by the obscure Profanatica-worshipping USBM band called Sacreligious Torment. While they have been quiet/non-existant for a long time, the US-based label Desacration of God Productions sure have put out a wonderful release that caught me by surprise as I was browsing Hell's Headbangers.

From a past binge of mp3s I've found of the band's previous split album with Burning Winds entitled "Of Holy Sacrament And Semen" that was released 9 years before this, which consisted of every track they written previously re-recorded for that release, I knew what to expect of this short 14 minute album immediately: raw and simplistic old school black metal in the vein of Profanatica with disgusting vocals that make me imagine the undead infant cadaver of Christ hissing while gargling black vomit.

It's what compelled me to buy it as soon as I gazed at it. And I was very satisfied. There was absolutely nothing new from what I heard before, just basically everything they put out on the forementioned split album, but in a much rawer sounding mix, with the repetition of two tracks that ended up being even more raw than before. I was not at all disappointed. I was quite happy I was hearing these tracks in a more ugly form as it suited them perfectly.

There's nothing at all original within these recordings, so expecting something mindblowingly indie and avant-garde would leave you disappointed. And due to hearing this before on another release in the past, there's definitely nothing new or refreshing from the band. But If you love the catchy guitar-playing style of Profanatica, with typical yet very imhuman vocals and the decaying quality of your usual 80's death metal demo tapes, then I highly encourage tracking this down. Old school/primitive/raw black metal diehards and lovers of bands like Goatvomit, Prosanctus Inferi, Profanatica and Contrivisti will surely enjoy this; much moreso if you haven't heard the tracks on the split album (which I was addicted to, but not as much as the tracks on this).

4 out of 5. A whole point off simply because I've heard it all before.


SUPPORT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment